Migration Agents Melbourne

To Legal is pleased to provide this dedicated immigration website, Migration Agents Melbourne, a [dot] Melbourne domain.

Being a [dot] Melbourne domain means you can be confident you are:

  • dealing with a trusted business as only verified businesses can own [dot] Melbourne domains
  • retaining the services of a Melbourne migration agent and immigration lawyer

To Legal is an immigration law practice based in the south eastern suburbs of the city of Melbourne, Australia. However, with the use of emails and the Internet, we are able to provide you with immigration services irrespective if you live inside Melbourne or outside Melbourne.

While the Internet can be a wonderful tool, unfortunately it can facilitate scams and fraud on a local basis and across global boundaries. See: Immigration Scams.

Therefore, we believe it is important for you to be able to verify that To Legal is owned and operated by our principal, Jay To who:

Our objective is to provide strategic and procedural immigration advice that is practical and in ‘plain English’. We are ‘goal oriented and provided a personalised yet professional service.

Contact Us for all your immigration services.

What is a migration agent?

A migration agent is a person who can:

  • advise you on immigration and citizenship matters
  • assist you to prepare, review and lodge your visa application
  • communicate, on your behalf, with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

Unless based overseas, a migration agent must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Why use a registered migration agent'?

A registered migration agent is required to:

  • have superior knowledge of immigration laws and practices
  • act in a professional and timely manner
  • comply with the migration agents’ Code of Conduct
  • hold professional indemnity insurance
  • pass character tests and criminal history checks

Our principal, Jay To:

How can I find out the level of experience of a registered migration agent?

The level of experience of a migration can be found by looking at Migration Agent’s Registration Number (MARN) with the first 2 digit representing the year of first registration.

For example, a migration agent with the MARN:

  • 1512345 – first registered in 2015 with about 1 years experience
  • 1312345 – first registered in 2013 with about 3 years experience
  • 1112345 – first registered in 2011 with about 5 years experience
  • 0912345 – first registered in 2009 with about 7 years experience

You should always ask a migration agent what their Migration Agent’s Registration Number (MARN) is and if the agent fails to provide the MARN, then alarm bells should sound!!

Jay To was allocated the MARN 07-44110.

This means Jay was first registered in 2007 and has about 9 years experience. In addition, Jay is also an immigration lawyer.

Should I use an agent that operates outside Australia?

There is a misconception that overseas agents that operate outside Australia are registered with the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). This simply incorrect. Although, MARA may give some overseas agents an ID number, it is solely for administrative purposes and does not mean that they are registered.

With the use of today’s communication technology and effective postal service, we will be able to assist you irrespective of whether you are based in Melbourne or overseas.

Remember, unlike overseas agents, registered migration agents are required to:

  • have sound knowledge of immigration laws and practices
  • act professionally and in a timely manner
  • abide by the migration agents’ Code of Conduct
  • have professional indemnity insurance
  • pass character tests (including criminal history checks)

Migration Agents Melbourne